Monday 16 September 2013

Review for Creativity and Advertising

Reviews for Creativity and Advertising are starting to come in now, not least one from Stephanie O'Donohoe from the University of Edinburgh for the International Journal of Advertising. I've wondered how this book would be received by the more empirical and industry-focused journals, and I'm very glad to read that O'Donohoe has been very generous in her review (available to those with access to academic journals here). In the review she highlights my upfront warning to practitioners, and those seeking a generalist account of creativity that repeats industry lore and and dogma, that they will not be in for an easy ride (indeed, she likens the book to a theme park ride). Moreover, she might have questioned my theoretical resources for this book, not least as there are a number of canons from the creativity/advertising field I omitted (too few words, too much I wanted to say). Instead she remarks there 'are rich nutrients in this alien soil, but they are not easily absorbed or digested by readers grounded in advertising'. She also poetically characterises the book in terms of 'being stranded in alien, erudite territory with a few tantalising signposts pointing the way home'. She concludes by framing the book in terms of both elegance and density (those who know me may not be surprised by the latter!).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These kind of courses are very important to the society that we live in if these kind of courses were start before the situation was much batter

Facebook Marketing Services in Karachi

Blog Archive

My photo
I am director of the Media and Persuasive Communication (MPC) network at Bangor University where I also lecture on political-economy of the media. I am currently working on a book provisionally titled Deconstructing Privacy for Peter Lang and leading two empirical projects in connection with privacy perception and the use of new media for smoking cessation. I am author of Creativity and Advertising: Affect, Events and Process (Routledge, 2013); The Mood of Information: A Critique of Behavioural Advertising (Continuum, 2011); and Digital Advertising (Palgrave-MacMillan, 2009). Please contact me at mcstay@bangor.ac.uk if you are interested in Ph.D supervision or consultancy services.