Saturday 29 August 2009

Young people today write far more than any generation before them

Wired offer an illuminating article here reporting on an investigation that scrutinizes US college students' prose. Andrea Lunsford professor of writing and rhetoric at Stanford University, the leader of the project, comments, "I think we're in the midst of a literacy revolution the likes of which we haven't seen since Greek civilization," she says. For Lunsford, technology isn't killing our ability to write. It's reviving it — and pushing our literacy in bold new directions.

No comments:

Blog Archive

My photo
I am director of the Media and Persuasive Communication (MPC) network at Bangor University where I also lecture on political-economy of the media. I am currently working on a book provisionally titled Deconstructing Privacy for Peter Lang and leading two empirical projects in connection with privacy perception and the use of new media for smoking cessation. I am author of Creativity and Advertising: Affect, Events and Process (Routledge, 2013); The Mood of Information: A Critique of Behavioural Advertising (Continuum, 2011); and Digital Advertising (Palgrave-MacMillan, 2009). Please contact me at mcstay@bangor.ac.uk if you are interested in Ph.D supervision or consultancy services.